Dear SOFiSTiK User, dear interested parties,
We are happy to announce that we have established a new subsidiary in Espoo Finland, SOFiN Consulting. The move is a response to the latest developments in the construction industry, in which new modeling and design methods are coming to the fore, requiring additional services and knowledge transfer. SOFiN will act as an independent consultant advising engineering practices, builders and public authorities around the world on their bridge construction projects.
Regardless of size, complexity or type of bridge, SOFiN will guide its clients through all stages of the development process. Its services include conceptual and detailed construction design, detailed parameter-based 3D modeling and all aspects of load-bearing planning. In addition, SOFiN will offer project-specific training and consultancy in the SOFiSTiK FEA bridge design software with BIM (building information modeling). This will enable clients to use the software even more effectively and, together with SOFiN, to develop the ideal approach to modeling, analysis, design and reporting for their specific bridge construction project.
Atte Mikkonen, a specialist civil and structural engineer of more than 20 years’ experience in bridge construction, will take on the role of Managing Director at SOFiN Consulting. He is a specialist in cable-stayed designs and post-tensioned bridges. Reference projects in his previous role at WSP include high-profile architectural and international projects such as the Kruunuvuori bridge in Finland, Thu Thiem 2 bridge in Vietnam, and the Chenab bridge in India. Mikkonen and SOFiSTiK have already enjoyed a successful partnership since 2012, collaborating to bring numerous international projects to fruition, and culminating now in the creation of this new venture.
“Our objective is to offer clients a productive and scalable solution for realizing complex projects,” explains Frank Deinzer, CEO of SOFiSTiK AG. “In establishing SOFiN Consulting we have created an opportunity to meet our clients’ needs for additional services beyond software technical support. From its Finnish base, SOFiN will support bridge projects around the world, with clients benefiting from our expertise and practical knowledge. Atte Mikkonen is a highly skilled expert in his field with many years' experience in design and real-world bridge construction. We are proud to be continuing our partnership.”
“SOFiN is all about better design in a shorter time with higher quality,” says Atte Mikkonen, Managing Director of the new subsidiary. “In partnership with our clients we will strive to achieve technical excellence, applying state-of-the-art modeling, analysis and design techniques. We will be a reliable sub-consultant, team member or service provider, helping engineering practices, construction contractors and authorities to optimize their bridge designs and coordinate client projects. I am looking forward to exciting and challenging international projects in bridge design and construction.”
Further information about SOFiN Consulting’s services can be found at https://www.sofin.consulting.
Autodesk news and summary of current and future changes
In our newsletter from May, we already informed you that Autodesk is gradually replacing serial number-based licenses with personalized (named user) subscriptions.
This change is particularly relevant for customers with maintenance contracts or multi-user subscriptions.
In this context, Autodesk has been offering the 1:2 trade-in of existing multi-user licenses for single-user subscriptions since August 7th. For 1 multi-user license you get 2 single-user subscriptions for a price similar to the upcoming renewal. This offer is only valid for the first renewal after August 7, 2020.
Main advantages of the named user model:
- transparent usage data
- dedicated access for all employees who need it
- no risk of incorrect licensing and resulting costs
- no need to set up license servers
- optimization of license costs and reduction of additional costs (IT expenses)
Summary of further associated changes and dates:
- discontinuation of Building Design Suites (since April 16, 2020)
- Autodesk no longer offers new annual multi-user subscriptions (since August 07, 2020)
- new trade-in offer for multi-user licenses and maintenance contracts (since August 07, 2020)
- maintenance contracts can no longer be extended (from May 07, 2021)
- multi-user contracts can no longer be extended (from August 07, 2021)
Current Autodesk promotion:
- legacy trade-in offer for licenses without an active maintenance contract (07.08.2020 - 23.10.2020)
Our recommendation for you:
- If you still have a maintenance contract or a multi-user subscription due for renewal, we recommend that you use the currently available trade-in offers.
- If you still have a serial number without an active maintenance contract, you can switch it to a single-user subscription at a discounted price until October 23, 2020.
- Your sales contact or our customer care team (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be happy to go through all the options and possibilities with you and prepare a suitable offer for you.